This section still under construction.
There's nothing better you can do for your general health and well being then to give your body a rest, and flush built up toxins from your system! It's also the simplest, most affordable protocol for feeling better. In America, it's not something you'll hear your healthcare provider suggest....if anything they'll attempt to scare you away from the idea. In most other countries with preventive, holistic healthcare systems...the first suggestion of doctors is to change ones diet, bcuz that's the safest, gentlest approach with the most impact. Here in the U.S. the more ignorant people are of what's going into their mouths...the healthier the corporations remain!
I'm not saying it easy to control ones cravings, and addictions for food stuff. For some people it proves almost impossible to discipline themselves, but better to make an effort to have some control now...then wait till one is in pain or suffering from neglected health. There are unlimited resources online for all sorts of detoxification processes and cleanses. I read this review on forskolin extract and I see now why it's now big business. Although there are some VERY reputable and decent products out there that offer complete cleansing & detoxing packages. The ones I'll be listing here are time-tested, and cheap! Most can be done with basic ingredients you can get at the grocery, or local health food shop. All they require is a little free-time, some focus, and genuine intent for wellbeing!
Remember a few simple things to make your detox-cleanse as pleasant as possible.
1) Most North Americans are laden with toxins...from pesticides, chemicals, heavy metals, artificial sweeteners, msg, medications, etc, etc. All these hidden toxins, on top of a highly-processed, gluey, carbohydrate diet...bogs & thickens the system, that leads to poor health.
2) It's important to cleanse the body quickly of these toxins, but not too quickly. Use your inner guidance system and listen to your body carefully. It will tell you what it needs. Most of the time we just aren't listening.
3) Educate yourself on the Herxheimer effect (below), so you don't get freaked out when you start to feel a little crappy before you feel better! Don't think of it as bad or negative symptoms of your cleanse. It's actually proof that you NEED to cleanse! Give your body a break...it's coped with all the junk you've been subjecting it to, and it's gonna take a while to get back in balance. Better to feel crappy and a little tired, and foggy-minded for a couple days, then ill, exhausted & out-of-sorts all the time!
4) STAY HYDRATED!!!! DRINKS LOTS & LOTS OF PURIFIED WATER!!! That will determine your success; not at completing the cleanse, but to what degree you feel better.
5) Practice disciplining yourself! We don't do that enough! Sure it's more fun to eat pizza, burgers...suck back sodas, and junk food, but it takes it's toll. Taking care of your health has nothing to do with fun or enjoyment...not the way we typically think of it. The rewards come after the work is done, and we grow up in an 'immediate gratification' nation...that works against this natural process. Challenge yourself! I find it's easier to do something more difficult that I have to set my determination on, and be wholly serious about. Fasts and cleanses for me are a hell of a lot easier to stick to, then trying to cut down on sweets, or carbs.
6) Stay QUIETLY focused. I find it easier to not tell anyone I'm doing detoxing, at least for the first week. You'd be surprised how many people will try to talk you out of it. On top of that...energetically it detracts from your intentions! Stay away from situations where others will tempt you with delicious food. Best to avoid social situations of any kind for the first week (if possible)...it's just easier for you...then having to explain over and over. After a week it'll be easier to explain, and truly express your enthusiasm for what you're doing, as you'll have something to back it up with. Then...you can brag about your accomplishments!
7) It's one day at a time! Make it through the first day....if you have to sleep in a little later, or go to bed earlier...do so, to make those first few days shorter. Make through one day at a time, and before you know it a week will have past. Then it's easy.
8) Don't let yourself go crazy after a fast! Follow up is just as important. Don't go splurge on a huge, greasy meal after all that work you've done. You'll be amazed at how satisfied you feel just eating a half an apple, or a healthy smoothie. It really doesn't take a lot food to live off of. Our portion sizes are so out of whack in this country! If you over eat, your stomach will immediately stretch back out of shape, and want more food to fill it up! Keep drinking lots of clean water, and smaller, super-packed foods....as much whole and raw as possible. Eat whole grains, and complex carbs. Eat as little dairy and meats as possible...as the quickly clog the system. Don't forget alternative proteins like beans, seeds, legumes. Your body is still in a state of repair, and thoughtful maintenance is important to keep feeling well & energetic!
9) Throw out the junk before beginning! A good time to start a cleanse is when you're running low on food. If it's sitting there staring you in the face, it's gonna make it all the harder! If you're serious about changing your "lifestyle" and being healthier...then toss out all the garbage food-stuff! When you're finished your cleanse and in a more healthful state....buy healthier snacks. Nuts, pretzels, dried fruits, raw fruits & veggies, hummus, etc. If it's not on hand, it's not going to tempt you off track!
10) Take time to talk yourself through the process! We don't bother to love & support ourselves enough. We are our own worst enemies, and can criticize and defeat ourselves without even thinking about it. As ridiculous as it might seem....take a few minutes before going to sleep at night to praise yourself for your effort! Sympathize if you need to, smile for yourself....even cry if you have to. Part of the detoxing process is purging emotions. As our body releases built up gunk in our bodies...pent up feelings are also released! Acknowledge them, thank them, and let them go! It's all part of the process we need to learn how to be grateful for.
The Herxheimer Reaction is a short-term (from days to a few weeks) detoxification reaction in the body. As the body detoxifies, it is not uncommon to experience flu-like symptoms including headache, joint and muscle pain, body aches, sore throat, general malaise, sweating, chills, nausea or other symptoms.
This is a normal — and even healthy — reaction that indicates that parasites, fungus, viruses, bacteria or other pathogens are being effectively killed off. The biggest problem with the Herxheimer reaction is that people stop taking the supplement or medication that is causing the reaction, and thus discontinue the very treatment that is helping to make them better. Although the experience may not make you feel particularly good, the Herxheimer Reaction is actually a sign that healing is taking place.
The Herxheimer Reaction is an immune system reaction to the toxins (endotoxins) that are released when large amounts of pathogens are being killed off, and the body does not eliminate the toxins quickly enough. Simply stated, it is a reaction that occurs when the body is detoxifying and the released toxins either exacerbate the symptoms being treated or create their own symptoms. The important thing to note is that worsening symptoms do not indicate failure of the treatment in question; in fact, usually just the opposite.
The best assistance for the body is drinking plenty of distilled water (a half gallon a day is recommended).
Other helpful suggestions include:
Adding lemon to the water, taking cold press olive oil first thing in the morning, taking sea salt baths and/ or steam baths and saunas, plus liver and elimination system supports can also be helpful, though any herbal supplements should be kept to a minimum and should be very mild and gentle in nature.
Combine the citrus juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper in a 10 oz glass and fill with medium hot water. Use fresh (organic) lemons or limes only, not frozen lemonade, or bottled juice. This recipe is for one serving. There's really no "set" recipe...it's too basic to be an exact science. I suggest making up a larger amount, at least enough for one day...and keeping it in the fridge. It's easier to drink cold. You can make up more then a days worth, but the cayenne intensifies as it sits.
IMPORTANT: You also need to do something to get your bowels moving! Fasting can sometimes stagnate the large intestine. A cleanse is meant to flush out your system of toxins. You do not want those toxins sitting in body in concentration!! You want them FLUSHED out! The simplest way to accomplish this is with a salt-water flush.
Salt-Water Flush Recipe
You can add juice to this mixture if you find it hard to swallow. Drink this at sun-rise each morning. Adjust to how your body handles it. Always use your own inner guidance system! You might need less or more depending. You don't want to have be sitting on the toilet all the time. Just nice, loose bowels.
You shouldn't have any problem doing this fast while maintaining your normal life. It's not one of those drastic cleanses where you need to clear your calender and stay close to the bathroom. There is something called the Herxheimer reaction that all people should know about before starting a cleanse, as it can led to a down-swing in energy, and some other side-effects that aren't so pleasant. The Herxheimer reaction is reduced by keeping your bowels flowing, and getting all that poisonous junk out of your system as quickly as possible!
Follow the diet for a minimum of 10 days or more—up to 40 days and beyond may be safely followed for extremely serious cases. The diet has all the nutrition needed during this time. Three to four times a year will do wonders for keeping the body in a normal healthy conditions. The diet may be undertaken more frequently for serious conditions.
I have personally done this fast for 40 days, and felt absolutely great during it. Fasting is an amazing tool if you can manage it. The first 3 or 4 days are the most difficult...only dealing with the hunger & cravings (especially for CARBS). If you can keep yourself distracted and get through that part...it gets easier and easier. By the end of the week there will be no cravings at all. None! Your mind will be clearer. Your eyesight will be incredible. All your senses! You'll hear better, see more color...crisper. Notice more beauty in the world, and less of the chaos. Your body will be more flexible and fluid. Aches and pains will vanish. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's true. As all the built up toxins leave your body...you will be amazed at your health & wellbeing is still there for you. You will begin to understand how poorly we treat ourselves, and this is a very intense message! The hard part is when the cleanse/fast ends...and not getting lazy again with yourself...and going back to old, unhealthy habits!
DISCLAIMER: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any diseases, and if you have a disease you should seek advice from a licensed health professional, but there is a much more important point here. You are responsible for our own health. Licensed health professionals can diagnose and prescribe, but in the end it is ourselves who must decide to follow the prescription or not. Therefore, I urge you to learn about nutrition and health so that you can make informed decisions to preserve or regain your vibrant good health.