All the following protocols should be incorporated into a regular digestive maintenance program. There is no one-way to go about colon cleansing. If you're adopting a healthy "holistic" lifestyle - you should already have these ingredients on hand. I've done my best to go the frugal, resourceful route. There are tons of detox/cleansing kits on the market, along with detox devices and services that carry hefty price tags. It's possible for you to get started at home on a very tight budget.
Everyone is dehydrated. You should be consuming at least 1/2 your weight in water - in ounces every day. Aim for a gallon per day. Avoid tap water that harbors harmful bacteria, cysts, molds, recycled medications, fluoride, chlorine, and heavy metals. Invest in a home water filtration system, or a countertop distillation system. Water is the most powerful solvent in the world - take full advantage of its benefits by drinking the cleanest water you can get. Do not drink plastic bottled water! Buy 1 or 5-gallon glass jugs and fill up at filtered water stations (at grocery stores). If you don't want to tote all that weight - fill up a 5-gallon plastic jug and transfer to glass as soon as you get home.
Distilled water works best for healing and detoxifying. Some things you can add to your distilled water to make it more beneficial - liquid minerals, sea salt, apple cider vinegar, liquid silica, and fulvic acid. You can also enhance your healing water by structuring it with magnets, rocks, crystals, and glass marbles (know as "structured water") which is wetter and magnetically charged to attract to your cells. Set your water out in the sun to charge. Never set plastic bottled water out in the sun.
Consider filtration for your shower as well.
Nearly a hundred different health-promoting substances have been identified in organic Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV is arguably one of the best all-around detoxifiers for your body's intestinal tract and organs. This is why it's so important to use only raw organic apple cider vinegar - it's the only way to obtain all the life-promoting enzymes and vitamins needed for proper intestinal detoxification. High quality ACV brands include: Bragg™, Solana Gold™ or Spectrum™.
Cleansing Caution! - What is A Healing Crisis?
This term describes a common phenomenon occurring in a small amount of individuals who actually feel worse during or after cleansing than they did before starting. The accumulation of toxic material must be processed before being removed from the body. This process can include physical symptoms as toxins are metabolized or oxidized. The most common symptoms include: fatigue, headache, minor rash, lack of mental clarity, joint or muscle ache, irritability, difficulty sleeping (or sleeping too much), or mood swings. Some people experience multiple symptoms while most people have none. These symptoms are temporary and will subside within 1-10 days as the body naturally expels these toxins. If you experience any of these symptoms drink plenty of distilled, purified or "Super Water" and be patient with your body as it slowly eliminates the toxic buildup.
Colon Cleansing Protocol
Support and Restore Your Gut Health:
- Two tsp of organic extra virgin coconut oil – three times daily with meals.
- Thorne Research L-glutamine or NOW Foods L-glutamine – take 4,000 – 10,000 mg in divided doses, daily with meals (use with caution if you have a sensitivity to glutamic acid, deficiency in GABA, upper gut overgrowth [H. pylori], or severe leaky gut and brain)
- Galactomune – One scoop daily mixed well with water at breakfast. Use with caution if you have yeast overgrowth or elevated Th2 issues.
- Allergy Research Group – N-Acetyl glucosamine – (do not use if allergic to shellfish or have yeast overgrowth) – follow the general supplement bottle recommendations
- Collagen supplementation is very important in restoring your digestive health.
- I would follow the Perfect Health Diet and proper ingestion of omega 3 fatty acids.
Binding and Reduction of Toxins and Heavy Metals (Do Not Follow If You Have Mercury Toxicity) cilantro and parsley juice
Facilitate Proper MMC Function
- Himalaya triphala – take one capsule twice daily, right before meals
- Drink a cup of organic ginger tea with breakfast daily.
- Proper magnesium supplementation, use magnesium malate or peroxide.
- Drink up to ten glasses of filtered water, each with 1/8 tsp of Real Salt to help speed up elimination.
- Use a squatty potty and perform light exercise daily (walking for thirty minutes at a brisk pace is a good idea).
Coconut oil ingestion will help reduce any yeast overgrowth. 11
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that helps increase liver function and detoxification. 18
Ginger increases bile production, which aids in digestion and elimination of toxins.
Triphala, magnesium, salt, and proper hydration increases motility and MMC function. 21
Various Tactics For Colon Cleansing
Raw Juice (Apple Based)
Fresh apple juice is one of the best colon cleansers. Drink fresh juiced apples on a regular basis to promote healthy bowel movements. Apple fiber helps break down toxins and improves the healthy functioning of the liver and digestive system.
Lemons contain anti-oxidant properties and are high in vitamin C that aids in proper functioning of the digestive system. You can add one whole lemon into your apple juice - two birds/one stone.
Food that rich in fiber will cleanse the colon by removing harmful toxins and softening stools to improve bowel function. 80% of your diet should come from fruits and vegetables - either raw or cooked, preferably organic, and asbolutely non-GMO! High fiber foods include: raspberries, blackberries, pears, apples, grapes, celery, broccoli, beans, peas, and legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds. Always soak your nuts, seeds, and grains for 24 hours prior to ingesting!!
Drinking more water will stimulate the natural peristaltic action in you colon, leading it to function normally. It will flush out the harmful toxins and keep the body hydrated.
- Drink as much water as possible.
- At least 10-14 glasses a day.
- Fresh fruit and vegetable juices and liquid foods will also hydrate you.
Ginger reduces bloating and stimulates the function of the colon - keeping it free from excess waste and harmful toxins. Add ginger to your cooked foods and raw juices. Make up some Ginger Bug and then ferment your own natural ginger soda or beer. Steep as a tea to drink hot or cold. Make up a ginger syrup to pour over cooked grains, ice cream, or yogurt. Infuse raw honey with freshly grated ginger.
Raw Vegetable Juices
Try to avoid processed and cooked food for a day or two to cleanse your colon properly, as you will get the most vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes that help to break down and remove the waste products from your body.
- Take few raw vegetables like carrots, cabbage, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, kale, broccoli, beetroots, parsley, etc. and extract their juice.
- Drink vegetable juice several times a day.
- Fresh homemade vegetable juices work better than ready made.
Aloe vera is a great detoxifier and laxative. Grow in your garden or as a house plant - cut leaf and scoop out the gel to add to juices and smoothies. Can also be purchased ready made in a jug at most healthfood stores. They also have it at Walmart in the pharmacy section. Consume several times daily.
Yogurt contains probiotics and good bacteria that help ward off bad bacteria. It also has calcium that discourages the growth of cells lining the colon and treats stomach problems like indigestion, irregular or irritable bowel issues. Eat several cups of yogurt daily. Get the recipe here.
Flaxseed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and natural fiber that helps cleanse your colon naturally. It absorbs water and expands in the colon, assisting in removing toxins and mucus as it passes through.
- Add a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds to a glass of water and stir well.
- Drink 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before bed.
- Or you can add ground flaxseeds to your cereals, yogurt, fruits, vegetable salads and other healthy foods.
10. Sea Salt:
Sea salt stimulates the bowel movement and helps to remove all the harmful toxins that accumulated in fecal matter.
- Boil a tablespoon of sea salt in a glass of water.
- Allow it to get cool and then drink first thing in the morning.
- Wait for few minutes before laying down and massaging the colon area.
- This process will clear all the harmful toxins from your colon and your digestive tract.
- Be sure to also drink a lot of water because it can cause diarrhea.
- Avoid this if you suffer from high blood pressure or any heart related problems.
11. Triphala (An Ayurvedic Medicine)
Triphala is a combination of two terms i.e. tri means three and phala means fruits (Amalaki, Haritaki and Bhibitaki). It has natural laxatives, bioflavonoids, vitamin C, linoleic oil and phospholipids, all promting bowl movement.
- Triphala is easily available in Ayurveda health stores or online Ayurveda shops.
- Add a tablespoon of this to galss of water in the morning every day.
- Have this evwery day in the morning.
12. Bentonite and Psyllium Husk:
Bentonite is highly absorbent and absorbs toxins in the intestinal tract and then pass on out with the feces. Psyllium husks when mixed with water, creates a slippery, gelatin – like substance that helps to soften the feces and acts as lubricant for easier elimination.
- Mix a teaspoon each of bentonite clay powder and psyllium husk in a glass with 8 ounces of water or juice.
- Drink before it thickens and follow with another 8 ounces of plain water or juice.
- Drink lots of water to dissolve the mixture.
- Maintain a diet of fresh fruits and semi-cooked vegetables accompanied with lots of water and juices.
Senna is a flowering plant that acts as a laxative. Both the pods and leaves of this contain anthraquinones which are powerful colon stimulates.
Method – 1: (Senna Tea)
- Take crushed senna herb or senna tea bag.
- Boil some water but cool slightly before you pour onto the herb.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 minutes and then strain the tea and drink.
- You can also steep in cold water for 10 – 12 hours and then strain well.
- Strain it adequately because the resin of the herb can lead to abdominal cramping.
- Or you can take senna supplements.
Method – 2:
- Boil 7 oz of white sultana raisins and 9 oz of rose hip extract separately and steam.
- Filter the liquids and then mix together in a bottle.
- Add rose extract and boiled water and drink.
- Avoid if you’re suffering from appendicitis, intestinal blockage or inflammatory intestinal disorders like irritable bowel syndrome, liver or kidney disorders, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. Also avoid giving this to children under the age of 12 and women who are pregnant or nursing.
14. Cayenne Pepper and Lemon:
Cayenne pepper breaks down the mucus in the colon and lemon juice eliminates the toxins.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, ½ a teaspoon of organic maple syrup and 8 ounces of warm water to a glass and stir well.
- Drink this solution on an empty stomach 5 times a month.
- This can also be drunk cold.
- Eat a tablespoon of honey to coat your stomach if it is burning.
Tips to Cleanse your Colon:
Here are few tips to help with colon cleansing:
- Drink lots of water while cleansing to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid frequent colon cleansing as it can lead to anemia, malnutrition, heart failure, etc. Only do it when necessary.
- Fasting can help the body systems to recuperate and eliminate the toxins. But make sure to take fruit or vegetable juices and water to avoid dehydration.
- Regular exercise helps for the smooth functioning of bowel.
- Consume liquid food like soups, herbal teas, vegetable broth, juices, etc. rather than solid food while cleaning your colon.
- Make sure to avoid greasy, spicy, oily, high calorie food.
- Include more garlic, onions and bananas which kills the harmful bacteria and parasites in the colon and promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria.