Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap
Simple, easy, and pennies to make. Does the job without all the toxins! Needed before starting: 5-gallon bucket, large paddle or stir stick, measuring cup, grater or food processor. Also save up lots of gallon jugs for this project!
Write a review
- 1 bar of Fels Naptha, Zote (14.1 oz), or other gentle soap (good for using up saved slivers).
- 4 cups of HOT water
- 1/2 to 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (NOT baking soda) (optional) **
- 1/2 to 1 cup 20-Mule Team Borax Powder (optional)
- 1 gallon + 6 cups of water
- Grate soap into 5 gallon bucket and add the 4 cups HOT water.
- Stir till the soap is dissolved.
- Add borax and washing soda. Continue stirring till completely dissolved.
- Add additional water to fill bucket. Let sit overnight. Mixture will congeal! This mixture is double strength.
- Next day - chunk up and stir mixture till liquid like again.
- Pour gallon jugs HALF full with soap mixture, and top off with water. Leave enough room to shake the mixture.
- Shake well before each use.
- RECOMMENDED AMOUNT = 1/3 CUP PER LOAD
- The liquid recipe below can be used a general household cleaner. Add to a squeeze bottle for use on dishes, or thin (if necessary) and add to a spray bottle for all around the house cleaning.
- ** If you can't find washing soda you can make your own by pouring baking soda onto a cookie sheet and baking at 400 degree F for 10 minutes. Open windows to ventilate. Cool and add to mix.
My Mystic Mama http://www.mymysticmama.com/
Here’s an easy to follow video – for those who are more visual. Check out Becky’s Homestead channel on Youtube for other great videos!
NEW BORAX WARNINGS: SEE
NLS: TOXICOLOGY DATA For an easier to read version, check out this post on Enviroblog.org Borax: Not the green alternative it’s cracked up to be. Most alarming is the warning that it’s a male hormone disruptor! I think this is something to take into consideration if you have young boys. Should also be noted that borax is a main ingredient in slimy/gooey toys, like slime, silly puddy, and playdough. Consider making these play things with a homemade recipe.