Homemade Lotion Bar Recipe
Adaptable non-toxic recipe for baby lotion bars, sunscreen bars, bug-off bars, etc.
Write a review
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 1/2 cup of hard butter (kokum, coconut, cocoa or combo to = 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup of soft butter (mango, avacado, babassu, shea, etc or combo = 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons liquid oil (apricot kernel, sweet almond, walnut, castor, grapeseed, etc. ")
- 1/4 cup non-GMO starch (arrowroot, corn, rice, potato or tapioca starch ")
- 80 - 160 drops of essential oils (your choice: see variants below) (optional for plain lotion bar)
- Melt all ingredients in a double boiler, or carefully in microwave.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a couple minutes (if too hot will kill essential oils!)
- Add 80-160 drops essential oil (or to preference).
- Add 1/4 cup starch and stir everything till well incorporated and smooth.
- Pour into silicone molds (cupcake, cakepop, ice cube size or similar).
- Allow to cool and harden completely before popping lotion bars out of molds (can place in fridge to speed up).
- Store in tins, wide mouth mason jar, plastic container, or wrap in waxed paper.
- BUG-OFF BARS (safe for children, pets, adults)(use any combination of these): lemon, eucalyptus, geranium, lemongrass, lavender, citronella, peppermint, thyme, clove, sage, cinnamon bark, rosemary, cedarwood, patchouli, melaleuca, lemon balm, camphor, and any mint oils. Also can use 100% gum spirit turpentine (bugs hate it) and it's good for rosacea and any skin disorder related to parasites, yeast, or fungus!
- CALMING BARS (safe for children, pets, adults)(use any combination of these): lavender, rose, vetiver, ylang ylang, chamomile, frankincense, sandalwood, bergamot.
- CLEAR ENERGY BARS(safe for children, pets, adults)(use any combination of these): angelica root, basil, eucalyptus, any citrus oil, ginger, peppermint, rosemary, geranium, black pepper, bergamot, coffee, any pine oils.
- BABY VERSIONS can be made of all these recipes but with LESS essential oils! Use only 20 drops for the basic lotion bar recipe! Alternatively, make the recipe without essential oils - and make spray versions of essential blends to spritz on clothing, or use in room diffuser.
My Mystic Mama http://www.mymysticmama.com/